It was a bittersweet celebration at the end of June, commemorating the end of ISSP’s month long visit to Tassah Academy in Cameroon. After one month, a significant amount of effort and work created the beginnings of the pilot program, which will start this fall. In one month we achieved the following:
– Introduced ISSP’s program and gained support from faculty, parents, students, local nonprofit organizations, and the national government
– Ran workshops training most teachers how to use tablets, especially using educational apps
– Ran a one week “science camp” with the middle schoolers and science teachers, using the tablets as well as curriculum from Project WET (www.projectwet.org). We also went on a field trip to different water sources around Yaounde!
– Established a partnership with EISERVI, a local nonprofit focused on youth empowerment and literacy. They will now be supporting the teachers at Tassah Academy during the Pilot Program
– Ran a workshop with EISERVI’s computer program to teach students to explore and learn using tablets
– Held initial Skype meetings between teachers in Cameroon and California
– Hosted first video exchanges between students to learn more about each other
And much, much, more. As we gathered around the delicious food, cooked by Janet herself, Laura, the intern of ISSP and teacher coordinator awarded the teachers present who were active in all of the training workshops, and have now mastered the use of tablets and Project WET curriculum. These teachers will be the first to pilot the ISSP program, and are excited to get started using their new skills. Afterwards, many of the teachers, staff, and government officials present gave speeches to show their appreciation of ISSP’s program, and awarded Laura with gifts to show their appreciation. After one month, we have truly created and hope to continue nurturing the Cameroonian branch of our ISSP family!
As we move forward this summer, we are excited to include many of the teachers here in California! If you are interested in participating now or in the future, please fill out our questionnaire, and we will get back to you as soon as possible: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HKQQGTT
Stay tuned to learn about new and exciting opportunities to connect to our program with your science club!